Honduras’ foreign trade deficit rose 14.2%, to 2.571 million

Photo of author

By LatAm Reports Staff Writers

Until April, exports fell by 3.6 per cent, compared with the same period in 2023, while imports grew by 2.9 per cent, according to the BCH.

Honduras’ deficit in its foreign trade in goods increased by 14.2 percent in the first four months of 2024 compared to the same period last year, reaching $2.571.2 million, the Central American Central Bank (BCH) reported Monday. 

According to a report by the monetary authority, Honduras’ trade deficit last April increased as the surplus of the balance sheet of processing assets rose by $37.5 million, which was offset by the performance of the general merchandise deficit, which deepened by $357.3 million.

Until April, exports fell by 3.6 per cent, compared to the same period in 2023, to $3,735,9 million, due to a contraction of 8.6 per cent in sales of general goods, especially coffee and palm oil, due to a reduction in exported volumes.

However, this decrease was partially offset by a 2.9 per cent improvement in exports of processing goods (maquila), especially electric harnesses for automotive use

53.8% of exports corresponds to general goods and 46.2 per cent to goods for processing goods, the State issuer said.


Imports grew 2.9% to $6,307.1 million, due to an increase of $169.3 million in the purchase of general goods, mainly transport, food and beverage equipment, as well as consumer goods, he added.

The BCH noted that 83.3% of imports corresponds to general goods and the remaining 16.7 % to goods for processing.

North America (United States, Canada and Mexico) is the main trade region in Honduras, with 58.3 per cent ($2.179.3 million) of total exports and 40.1 per cent ($2.531.7 million) of imports, he said.

With Central America, Honduras recorded a trade deficit of $52.7 million, down by $33 million in year-on-year terms, while the deficit with Asia amounted to $1.256.2 million, higher at $238.7 million last year.

According to official figures, foreign trade with Europe recorded a surplus of $73.5 million, down from $118 million over the same period last year, due to lower volume of coffee exported to Germany and oil to Italy, as well as an increase in imports of metals and manufactures from Germany, which was partially offset by lower imports from Russia. 

This article has been translated after first appearing in Tunota